Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Mouse Tango



I came across this classical website today while referencing a particular piece of music. The name of the site, hardly evokes the kind of dignity, respect and - dare I say it? - pomposity that is often expected in the world of classical music but the results are often hilarious. Check out their clip section for more videos, including a lightning fast performance of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee by punked up Croatian pianist Maksim Mrvica and what I'm calling the "Salute to David Letterman throwing things off of tall buildings" approach to Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture." Enjoy!

2 comments:

Paul Niemi said...

What a cool and interesting blog, Robin! Hope all is well.

Best,
Paul Niemi

Billy Glad said...

I heard Manoff's review of In Principio on NPR and bought the album. There's a train from here to Chicago, leaves about 9:30 AM. Yesterday morning, I thought I heard it at 8:30 AM, about an hour early, then realized it was Part, playing in the living room.

Made me realize I know absolutely nothing about the relationship between music and the physical world. Where does music start?