Friday, February 8, 2008

Winter Wonderland!



For the past week or so I've been collecting pictures from around the Palouse. If you have any good snow pictures please feel free to send them to me at rilette@wsu.edu and I might post them on my blog. This picture is of the southwest end of Kamiak Butte, 13 miles north of Pullman and three miles south of Palouse.

Directions to Kamiak Butte County Park:

From Pullman: Take State Highway 27 North 11 miles. Turn left on Clear Creek Road for .5 mile. Turn left on Fugate Road (Road No. 5100). Travel .5 mile to Kamiak Butte County Park Road (Rd. No. 6710) to the park entrance on the left.

From Colfax:Take State Highway 272 (Palouse Highway) East for 5 miles . Turn right onto Clear Creak Road for 7 miles. Take a sharp right onto Fugate Road (Road No. 5100). Travel .5 mile to Kamiak Butte County Park Road (Road No. 6710) to the park entrance on the left.

I drove home one night to find my neighbour digging through the large berm in our alley and also creating space for my car. Isn't that cool? Another neighbor at the end of the block came over one Saturday with a handy device and scraped snow from the roof of my laundry room. On afternoon, while digging through the three foot plus snow berm kicked up the plows, some friends from my church drove by on their way into town to get supplies. They stopped and helped dig me out. What would have taken me about forty minutes took Kent about eight! That's what I call manpower! I have nice neighbours.


Here's a view from my front porch. Those lumps in the snow are the boxwood hedges that line the sidewalk to my porch.


I like the swoop of this drift.


Any excuse to show a picture of Miles! Here he is doing one of his favourite things....rolling in the snow!


Seriously....who is cuter than my pink-nosed beast?


You can't even see the road in this picture!



Speaking of roads....it's time for a shout out to all of the people manning the various snow plows and snow moving machines across the region. You rock! Here is one of those hard working individuals in downtown Palouse taking another load of snow down to the park.





Janet Barstow from Palouse sent me this photo of SR 272. The road has been closed for days at a time this winter and you can see why!


Here's another photo from Janet on one of the back roads into town. She said that the sides of her pickup were scraping against the snow banks. I think it's very intrepid of her to drive through that and to get out and take the picture.



I like these two pictures that I took of the Palouse River. In the second picture you can see some of the beaver tracks in the snow. I've been trying to get a picture of the beaver for some time but when I manage to see him or her I've also managed to be without my camera.





How are you dealing with the snow? Send me your pictures at rilette@wsu.edu. Bruce Bradberry (our All Things Considered host until Sueann's return) or, as our Morning Edition host Gillian Coldsnow calls him, Brucie, are you paying attention? Bruce has some great pictures of his snowbound house in Idaho. Bruce!!!! Send me those photos!!!

Finally Bruce Bradberry sent me some pictures of his place. Thanks Bruce! The one from inside the house is wild!






Here are a few pictures taken by and of Maya Lessov, the Associate Producer and Director of KWSU/KTNW Public Television. Maya left Friday at 10:30am from Pullman for the Spokane airport. She finally arrived at 4:30pm! Highway 195 from Rosalia to Spangle was closed so she followed a series of cars onto the old 195 that you see in the picture below.



Unfortunately, a semi-truck in front of her became stuck in the snow and they had to wait for rescue. I suppose that gave her time to take this pretty picture.



Here is Maya after safely arriving at the Spokane International Airport.



Tom Hungate, one of our Account Executives, took these pictures on the Washington State University Pullman campus on January 30th, the day of the big snow! This is the back of the Edward R. Murrow Center. Northwest Public Radio is on the third floor of this building.





A couple of shots of W.S.U.'s Clock Tower.





An intrepid student.



Here's a picture of one of Northwest Public Radio's satellite dishes covered with ice.



Nice photos Tom.

Thanks to Joan Harris from Pullman, Washington for these two photos of the snow.
Joan, your sunset snow picture is gorgeous!



No comments: