Friday, February 22, 2008

Beavers!!!



Okay, so I don't have the best zoom lens, but if you look carefully you can see to the right and left of the tree, two pair of beavers. Try clicking on the photos as sometimes that will bring up a bigger version on your screen.

This is the beaver family that lives on the Palouse River in Palouse, WA. I've been "stalking" this family for the past year since I first saw one of the adults last February in the ice congested river. All spring and summer (until I broke my foot) I made regular walks all along the river hoping for a siting of the entire family but to no avail. Apparently, patience and persistence have their rewards.


What looks like a log in the middle of the river is actually one of the young beavers floating away after a family squabble.




Both pair of adult and young were engaging in mutual grooming.




If I get home from work in time to make it down to the river before dark I head down there with Miles to watch the beavers. I could watch them for a long time.



There can sometimes be disgruntled property owners living near beaver habitat. People see fruit trees and beavers see building material! In these cases education is the key. Beavers actually create wetlands that in turn provide new habitat for wildlife. When the clash between beavers and property owners becomes unmanageable communities are turning to The Beaver Deceiver.

In addition, there are many on line sites that offer tips on how to protect property.

No comments: