Friday, December 28, 2007

"Ever On" Dan



I just learned this morning that one of my favorite singer/songwriters died on December 16th of prostate cancer. Tears are in my eyes right now as I write this tribute. Dan Fogelberg was a huge part of my youth. He musically defined so many of my feelings and experiences when in my 20's and 30's. It feels like we grew up together as we are only four years apart in age. As his life changed, my life changed. As he "grew up," I "grew up."

1973......driving my car down Greenburg Rd. in Tigard OR.....suddenly, over the radio, I hear this voice singing about a lost and vain love. Though I was late for something I immediately drove home (no cell phones!), called the radio station and then went straight to the store and purchased my first Dan Fogelberg album. The song was "Stars" and the album "Home Free."

Every new album was an event. I would be at the store the day it was released, take it home and set it in front of my stereo. Not until the next day would I take off the cellophane and let myself read the liner notes. Not until the third day would I let myself remove the record from the sleeve, place it on the turntable, carefully clean it and then sit down to listen. Hours of my life were spent listening to his music; not listening while cooking or cleaning or having dinner with friends but listening....just listening.

He was the musical unrequited love of my life. I loved his voice, his face, his music, his hands, his questioning, his passion, his love of nature and the joy he obviously took in life and music.

Farewell Dan and.....

May the trail rise up to meet you
May your heart rejoice in song
May the skies be fair above you
As you journey ever on
Ever on--ever on
Ever on--ever on
And in this planetary circle
We are but a single stone
Spinning on our fragile axis
Through the endless night alone
Ever on--ever on
Ever on--ever on
Ever on
May your love be there to guide us
May it always keep us strong
May we walk within your footsteps
As you lead us ever on
Ever on--ever on
Ever on--ever on
Ever on--ever on
Ever on--ever on
Ever on

1 comment:

Yes, I'm Catholic said...

I'm a big fan of Dan Fogelberg, too. The song you posted is one that I played frequently after my Mom's passing in 2006. Now, of course, I think of both of them with this song.

I enjoy your blog, probably because I also love a wide range of music.

Janet
www.CanIChangeALife.blogspot.com