Tuesday, June 8, 2010

200th Birth Anniversary of Robert Schumann


Robert and Clara Schumann

Today is the 200th birth anniversary of Robert Schumann, one of the great composers of the romantic era. Today, Northwest Public Radio is featuring the music of Schumann. If you missed "Morning Edition" today
here's a link to a NPR page with stories of Schumann, in particular the interview this morning on Morning Edition with commentator Miles Hoffman.

My exposure to classical music began early, through my mother Sue, who was a wonderful pianist and vocalist. Mom went to C.W.U. on a music scholarship but had to quit when her father died during her freshman year. Music was always a part of my life, and mom's love of a wide variety of music was passed down to me.



As a child, my sister Kim and I took piano lessons. All of these years later I don't remember everything that I played but I know there was J.S. Bach, Clementi and Beethoven. In grade school I took up the flute and played for a number of years. I was actually quite good but quit in high school for reasons too ridiculous to want to relate. I did continue to sing and so still had some exposure to classical music.

My interest in classical music waned until sometime in my early 20's when I started taking note of classical music used in films. I would stay through the credits, quickly write down the information in the dark and then immediately go and buy the album. I share this today because Schumann was one of the composers whose name I wrote down in a darkened theatre in Portland. The piece? The andante cantabile from his Piano Quartet in Eb, Op. 47. The movie? My Brillant Career


Sam Neill as Harry Beecham (yum!) and Judy Davis as Syblla Melvyn.

No comments: