Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Lark Ascending


I recently finished a phone call with a Northwest Public Radio listener about Ralph Waughan William's "The Lark Ascending." We had an interesting conversation about the piece. I chose a version featuring The Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Field with Sir Neville Marriner and violinist, Iona Brown. He mentioned a video on youtube featuring Dutch violinist Janine Jansen that might be of interest. I took a listen, and a look, and I agree with him that her version is less ethereal. I believe that he used the adjective "strong" and I would add to that "earthy," which is an interesting choice when you think about the piece and it's title. Here it is if you want to take a listen. I'll warn you that it cuts off at 8:00. I'm not sure why and that's a bit frustrating but it's fun to compare and contrast. Notice how she turns away from the audience and looks to the various soloists.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is such a lovely peace! I personally love the version with Nigel Kennedy. His fluent way of playing really gives you the feeling, that sensation of sort of gliding through the air. Beautiful!

Greeting from Norway =)