Tuesday, May 1, 2007

f# g f# e e d b d e

Every day I receive e-mails, letters, cards and phone calls from listeners asking me to help them find a particular piece of music. That's normal for someone who works at a radio station. However, I must share with you some of the ways in which people have asked for help because I find them creative, funny and sometimes downright challenging.

For instance, just last week I received an e-mail from a listener in regard to a particular piece heard in March. Unfortunately, the playlist for that particular date was missing and I could not retrieve the file from my computer.

Northwest Public Radio listeners being the creative people that they are, this particular man sent me an e-mail, some of which I include here.

"....if I remember rightly it had a melodic motif that went something like this:
f# g f# e e d b d e, with the second e being an octave lower than the first and third." This may go down as one of my more interesting requests! Not having perfect pitch I resorted to the help of a virtual keyboard.

I'm sorry to report that after listening to this melody about eight times I cannot identify it. It sounds familiar but it's turning out to be one of those "can't quite put my finger on it" moments.

Why don't you give it a try and let me know if you recognize it?

This experience made me think about some other interesting and fun requests I've received over the years. Here are a few favorites.

A listener taped music from a t.v. commercial onto a video tape, played the video, held the phone up to the video and asked me to identify the music. I can't remember now what the piece was but I do remember that I successfuly identified the piece.

I've had numerous listeners hum, sing, whistle or do something that approximates those things over the phone. Just recently this happened and I asked the listener to call back and sing it again on my voice mail because I didn't recognize it. I then forwarded the message to some of my colleagues at Northwest Public Radio but to no avail.

If you called, e-mailed or otherwise wrote to me with an unusual request it would be great to hear from you and for you to share your story with the other NWPR listeners.

5 comments:

Gillian Coldsnow said...

I went to the Virtual Keyboard and saw that it can be selected to play PAN PIPE sounds.....

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!

Robin has joked about me and panpipes for years. Their sound has a decidedly unnerving effect on me, right up there with any kind of friction on styrofoam.

But of course pan pipes are annoying - they're named a creature with cloven hooves whose very appearance caused PAN-ic!

GDL said...

Honest this is the first time I decided to try and work through the internet to find a playlist. After reading your blog(for the first time) with fear I ask if you could identify the artists or CD that was on last Thursday morning singing "Sweet Hour of Prayer." I was especially interested in the hosts comments about this particular group. While driving I 90 I choose not to write the name down. You do good work.

GDL said...

Honest this is the first time I decided to try and work through the internet to find a playlist. After reading your blog(for the first time) with fear I ask if you could identify the artists or CD that was on last Thursday morning singing "Sweet Hour of Prayer." I was especially interested in the hosts comments about this particular group. While driving I 90 I choose not to write the name down. You do good work.

Robin said...

Hi gdl,

Here's the information on "Sweet Hour of Prayer." I've been out of town for a couple of weeks and am just now checking my blog.

Honestly, I can't now remember what I said about the group Anonymous 4!

If you'd like information about other pieces heard on Northwest Public Radio you can look directly under the Music & Culture page. Just click on "Music playlists" to the left of the page.

Thanks for listening!

Robin

11:04 AM 35077
William Batchelder Bradbury Sweet Hour of Prayer Harm Mundi 907326
ORCH Anonymous 4


3:13

Robin said...

I asked for your help in identifying a particular piece for a NWPR listener. John in Walla Walla sent me the following e-mail.
Thanks John! I hope this is the one. I'm going to check out this site myself when I have more time. It sounds really interesting.

Try the online dictionary of musical themes: http://www.multimedialibrary.com/barlow/solfeggio_search.asp. It identified your mystery tune as “Ippolitoff-Ivanoff, Michael: Caucasian Sketches, Op. 10, 2nd. Mvt., 1st. Theme”. Don’t know if that’s what your correspondent had in mind, but it’s a useful resource even so. We used the hardback version back in the sixties when I was in college.